I specialize in editing fiction of all lengths with a particular focus on SFF and horror. Not sure which type of editing is right for you? Contact me!
- Assessing the manuscript's strengths and weaknesses
- Reporting on the effectiveness of key story elements like characterization, dialogue, setting, plot, point of view, voice, style, overall marketability and more
- Suggesting changes in a detailed report, rather than making them to the text
- Providing information on relevant resources to help authors improve their craft
- Assessing content, structure, and tone
- Correcting to ensure consistent voice, logical presentation, and flow
- Ensuring a cohesive plot with convincing characters, setting and dialogue
- Correcting grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Correcting usage, removing bias, clarifying vague or wordy language and passages
- Improving sentence and paragraph transitions
- Ensuring the style and syntax are appropriate for the intended audience
- Ensuring consistency, accuracy, and completeness
The above services are intended for completed manuscripts only. For guidance with incomplete manuscripts or developing story ideas, consider mentoring as an option.
- Guidance for story/plot/character development
- Assistance navigating the world of agents and publishers to find the right fit for the author
- Advice on self-publishing and marketing a book
- Help with query letters, author bios, synopses and other submission requirements
Not sure if your story is ready for editing? Check out this guide on preparing for editing.
What Editors Do
- For a clear idea of what to expect from professional editors, see the EAC's Professional Editorial Standards
- To understand the different forms of editing, see the EAC's definitions